Saturday, August 15, 2020

People With Disabilities Lives Matter-But Not In Connecticut

 I would love to see signs in front of homes that state: "People With Disabilities Lives Matter".  I know I won't because those people who have disabilities in our state along with our elderly population especially in nursing homes have been long forgotten about during our never ending supposed Covid-19 crisis.

I will use myself as an example of trying to deal with our never ending supposed Covid-19 crisis as a person with a disability.  I have a 90% loss of hearing in my left ear along with a 55% loss of hearing in my right ear plus I have tinnitus which is a constant ringing in my ears or as I refer to it as hearing peepers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  I wear two hearing aids that offer some help in hearing but little for the tinnitus. I also read lips to try to follow what people were saying and also read my students lips when I taught in the classroom for many years at Gateway Community College and other local colleges.  Therefore I can "hear" with the help of my eyes in reading other peoples lips.   I believe I overcame my disability through the years (I have been wearing hearing aids for roughly 40 plus years now and have taught for 38 years). With the mandate for everyone to wear masks I basically no longer hear what people are saying to me with their masks on at grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc.  I hear a bunch of garbled sounds except when the person who is speaking through a mask is loud and I can make out some of what they say.  Most people are deathly afraid to pull down their masks so you can hear them.  They have been programmed this way for fear of?  Thus my wife must tell me what a waiter or waitress tells us if we are in a restaurant as again in most cases I can not hear what they are saying.  Apparently myself and many other hearing impaired people must not hear anything any more to fight the never ending supposed Covid-19 crisis.  Our hearing is not important to our elected officials while protests such as we have seen over the past few weeks can take place in Connecticut with no issues so long as they fit their liberal agenda.  I can only imagine the issues that people who have eye blindness are going through at this time.  I can only imagine those people who have special needs and have lost their jobs at work groups and homes.  Where is their help?

Why are family members not allowed to see their loved ones in nursing homes and or rehabilitation centers in Connecticut?  I wonder why human interaction for those most in need has been eliminated when there are virtually no cases of Covid-19 in our never ending supposed Covid-19 crisis at this time?  To me people who are in these nursing homes and or rehabilitation centers in Connecticut have become prisoners in their locations while the state has let go real prisoners from the state prisons during this crisis.  Why are they being treated so badly?  Why are the elderly being treated as prisoners? We saw the complete ineptness of our State Public Health Department when there was mass deaths in the state's nursing homes at the peak of the crisis.  The state forced these people to die alone without their family members by their side.  I am sickened every time I think about those elderly men and women and not one person in our state government holds any responsibility for this debacle.  Yet they got their pay raises on July 1.  Where is the outcry in our state?  Where is our non functioning elected state legislature to investigate this?

People With Disabilities Lives Matter but not in Connecticut.  Connecticut's liberal agenda has written off people who have disabilities and who are elderly.  We obviously do not fit their "perfect" society of a superior race.  People with disabilities should be treated with respect and care.  They are valuable to our society.  They are the people that protests in the streets should be rallying for.  Enough is enough.


No comments: