Saturday, April 11, 2015

More Connecticut Higher Education Cuts-Students Will Continue To Pay More And More

I wonder if any of our state elected officials have walked into a state college or university classroom lately?  I also wonder when the last time was when any high ranking Connecticut education bureaucrat went into one of the classrooms they oversee and govern?  I wonder when the last time was when either any of our state elected officials or high ranking Connecticut education bureaucrat talked to any students or adjunct faculty members of our state higher education system?
I wonder this based upon the massive cuts in the higher education system directed right at the student who can least afford it. 
The same student who tells me each semester their financial aid is delayed and they can not afford to buy the textbook. 
The same student who tells me they since their financial aid was cut back and they can not afford to buy the textbook.
The same student who tells me outright they can not afford to buy the textbook since they do not have an extra $225 for it.
Yet they can afford a $1.8 million dollar outside consulting contract to develop a plan for higher education in Connecticut.  I could have done that in one sentence-educate students so they have marketable job skills and education to become gainfully employed. 
I also wonder why they there were no pay or benefit cuts to any of the high ranking Connecticut education bureaucrats that rule our state college and university system?  But we can make sure the students can cough up more in tuition and user fees along with less financial aid.  Let us make those who can least afford it pay more and more while high ranking Connecticut education bureaucrats continue to feast at the never ending trough of yet higher salaries and benefits.  It is elitism at its best.
I have taught for thirty three years now.  It saddens me to see how students are treated in 2015 in Connecticut by their high ranking Connecticut education bureaucrats.  My students deserve better.

No comments: