Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why Pickens Plan Is Blowing In The Wind and Will Not Work

It is blowing in the wind and money from your wallet will follow. And if you are T. Boone Pickens your profit is blowing in the wind. And you as energy consumers will help make Pickens wealth grow even more if his misguided plan works. Do not get me wrong I am all in favor of creating wealth and I have been consistently in favor of alternative energy sources. However I am not in favor of this plan which can only rely upon eminent domain to take over properties starting in Texas and position incredibly expensive electrical lines along state lines to transport this electricity throughout America. And at a time when the price of a barrel of oil has gone down $70+ a barrel. I have a strong feeling that taxpayers like you and I will help support Pickens in his semi-retirement through this master liberal plan of nothingness for energy.
We do have problems with energy independence which can be traced to the 1970's and a Democratic Congress who has basically done nothing for 35+ years with regards to this. Obviously since Congress is removed from the everyday economy nor does it have to worry about anything financially, it could care less if gas went to $6 a gallon and heating oil to $7. It solution is simplistic, tax these supposed "excessive profits" that we always hear about. Are the profits there today at $2.50 a gallon?
Thus the real nature of eminent domain is at stake here. Solar installations on buildings do not require eminent domain, nor do windmills privately owned on private property. New building construction with geothermal energy does not require eminent domain nor does nuclear power. In my economic opinion I do not feel taxpayers need to support nor endorse this poor Pickens plan. And by the way I favor the energy proposals of McCain/Palin, let us control our own oil supply in our country. They have my vote.

No comments: